Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Post that Probably Shouldn't Be

So, yesterday didn't turn out how I had planned. It was supposed to be port installed by 1pm and chemo right after but I was bumped from the OR because of a baby in distress that needed to be released from the womb. The baby was born via C-section around 2:30 and I was on the gurney and being sung to by 3 (it was my birthday yesterday so the OR nurses sang 'Happy Birthday' to me as they prepped me for surgery). By the time I was released from the Day Surgery section the cancer section was closed up tight for the night so no chemo for me yesterday.

By the way, my port is a little gadget that they installed under my skin. Its about the same size as a loonie around and about 3/4 of an inch deep. There is a catheter that is threaded into my vein near my heart and that's how the chemo drugs are pumped in to me. I've been calling it my Star Trek communicator ... the only problem is that Scotty's voice in muffled because the whole thing is under my skin.

Anyway, this morning Mr. Awesome and I reported to the cancer treatment room bright and early, fascinator on (me) and coffeejuice in hand. I thought I would be more emotional or something about today but I wasn't. It was actually a nice way to spend the day, if it didn't included injecting poison into my veins. A couple of friends stopped by to visit and one of my nurses is a pal from church. I met some other patients and their families. It was kind of a mellow day.

Then I came home.

Still mellow but trippy too.

I hardly ever take medicine for anything; not for headaches, upset stomachs or anything. I am kind of a light weight when it comes to these kind of things so it didn't take much to get me stoned. I am taking a pile of anti-nausea meds and the main side affect has been kaleidoscope vision, mildly slurred speech and an overwhelming sense of mellowness.

When I texted my pal about these side affects (affects or effects, affects or effects, potato/potato ... you know, when that is typed you lose the affect/effect of the different pronunciation. anyway...) she told me to post a blog. I told her I thought that would be a bad idea but I ate a cinnamon bun that my lovely neighbor baked for me and I realised that blogging is always an excellent idea. So here it is. The post that probably shouldn't be.

I know I will regret this in the morning. Well, maybe not tomorrow morning because I'll be on the same meds for a couple of days but some morning, eventually I may regret this but hey ... why be loopy if you can't do a couple of things you may regret.

Now, to decide on what tattoo I want to get this evening! ;-)



Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritation and resentments slip away, and a sunny spirit takes their place. ~Mark Twain

No comments: