Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Christine's Code

I intentionally did not write about New Year's resolutions at the beginning of the month. Its easy to be full of optimism and dedication on January 1 but by the middle of the month focus wanes and will power fades and whatever well intentioned resolutions were made have now gone the way of the dinosaur. I think this happens because a lot of people make surface commitments like to lose weight, quit smoking or live healthier without looking deeper. Why are you unhealthy, unfit and discontent?

I have a pal who has sorted some of this out. Her name is Christine Son and she is a talented writer, a witty word smith and all around stellar person. Here are some of her thoughts for the new year ...

 This year, I decided to craft resolutions which weren’t so much resolutions, but a code of standards by which I want to live my life. Because I may not be able to control the economy, or the job market, or the sometimes inexplicable behavior of those around me, but I can control how I think, what I believe, how I will comport myself in the face of ever-changing circumstances. Most of these resolutions are not new. They’re just so blindingly obvious that we tend to overlook them entirely.



Resolution #1: I will remember always that I am an exquisite creature, fearfully and wonderfully and perfectly made. I will remind myself of this when life would make me feel less than. And especially when people would.



Resolution #2: I will live boldly. Without fear of failure or discouragement from a bunch of “no”s. Because all “no”s eventually become “yes” if we dare to dream, work and believe.



Resolution #3: I will love boldly. Because life is too short, and too very precious, to squander on trepidation.


Resolution #4: I will live fully in the present. For the past was meant to bless and teach and be left behind. And the future is a treasure still percolating. But the present is a perfect gift if we should open our eyes to see, and open our hearts to feel.



Resolution #5: I will rejoice and be glad and give thanks always.


Resolution #6: I will hug those I love a beat longer. And I won’t think twice on walking out on those who suck.

Resolution #7: I will never apologize for, nor downplay, my intelligence. It is my very best feature, after all.



Resolution #8: I will not apologize for, nor seek to diminish, my huge heart. Because I can’t remember the last time I thought, “Man, you know what the world needs more of? Heartless bitches.”


Resolution #9: I will not dim my light so that others can shine brighter, nor will I lower my standards so that more can meet them. But if there are those who would like to be where I am, I will do everything I can to help them get there.


Resolution #10: I will listen closely to my massive brain. But I will ultimately go where my heart leads. Because I have never been concussed, but I have not always liked my decisions. And my heart has known brokenness, but I have never regretted following it.

That's ten of the twelve resolutions. I encourage you to check out Christine's original post on her blog Christine's Thinkings, where she goes into more detail about what has motivated her and inspired her to live these twelve truths.

Hope this little post gives you the mid-month boost you need to keep living the life you were meant to be and to keep growing into the person you know you are.

If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise. ~Johann von Goethe

No comments: