Thursday, November 3, 2011

Extraordinary Love

Love is a crazy thing. It can take your breath away, kick you in the gut, sustain you, devastate you, inspire you, confuse you, send you soaring, leave you hanging. It can be everything that is good and kind and beautiful and it can be your worst nightmare. It can fill you up and it can suck the life out of you. It can make you feel like you have gain the world and it can make you feel like you have lost your very soul. Love is a crazy thing.

The craziest thing about love is that it can be all these things at once and none of them at the same time.

There are a million different types and degrees of love. I love peanut M&Ms, scarecrows, the Starbucks girl, my kids and Mr. Awesome ... just not all in the same way. My devotion to each is true and strong but I don't love them the same way. I still love the first boy who ever stole my heart, my high school best friend and the 90 year old woman I would share my coffee break with when I worked at the nursing home. I haven't seen any of these people in more than ten years but they each still hold a precious place in my heart. And my affection for each person who holds a piece of my heart does not diminish my love for the others. I think it adds to it.

I think we become the sum of everyone and everything we have loved and our attitude about those Loves is what shapes us. I have had my share of heart ache but I have also know unconditional, take my breath away, humbling love ... and I am thankful for both. I am thankful for the lessons of strength, survival and beauty I learned in my moments of heart ache. I am thankful that because of those disappointments, I cherish the Loves I have more deeply and I know that I am stronger than I thought.

I wake every day in awe of the people who love me in spite of my shortcomings, pettiness and ugliness, who see me through Love's eyes and cherish me just as I am, who lift me up, have my back and walk beside me. I am thankful with my every breath that my life is filled with people who see me worthy of love even when I don't feel worthy because it is in that Love that I am made worthy.

Its all so extraordinary ... this Love thing.

All that you can't leave behind.
~U2

No comments: