Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Celebration of Thanks

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I was sitting in church with my family, listening to the message and thinking about the thirty-something thanksgiving services I have been to, the thirty-something thanksgiving meals I have sat down for and the thirty-something times we have been asked to take pause and think about all the things we are thankful for. Year after year, we sat in somber silence, counting our blessings. Why?

Why be somber? Why be so serious when thinking about, thanking about all of the good things in your life. Why not celebrate your blessings? Why not rejoice in all of the good? Why not? Why do people automatically equate laughter with frivolity?

I had a teacher in junior high who was pretty intense. He rarely smiled and often spoke of The Seriousness of our Faith. He had all the humour of a Quaker (sorry if there are any good humoured Quakers out there ... didn't mean to offend). I get that he was trying to instill in us the awesome sacrifice of The Cross but I am pretty sure God laughs, that Jesus parties (check out John 2). So why do we try to convince ourselves that in order to be properly grateful for the life we have we have to be sombre?

I have a great life. I have three wacky, wonderful kids. Mr. Awesome is my best friend, partner and love of my life. We have friends who love us unconditionally, a family who always has our back and a church that teaches us about hope, love and acceptance. I have gifts and talents that I am still discovering and a whole lifetime to figure out how to us them. My blessings are innumerable and that is something worth celebrating ... are yours?


If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness.  It will change your life mightily.  ~Gerald Good

No comments: