Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just Like Dad

Mischief has been driving me a little nutty lately. He has been climbing everything, making some less than stellar choices in his behaviour and attitude and whining about 'just wanting to have fun'. Mr. Awesome and I have tried all sorts of things to try to curb this mayhem but nothing has worked so far.

After a series of notes from school and conversations with his teacher as well as constantly refereeing fights with between him and the other kids I was becoming unglued. I was exhausted and more frustrated than I can ever remember being with this kid. So, when I walked into the family room just as he was about to execute a near kamikaze stunt involving the stairs, the couch, ottoman, a number of blankets and towels and the dog I knew I had a choice to make. I could lock him in the dog kennel, tie him to a chair or run away from home.

Realizing that none of those were really viable options, I stuck the kid in the bath tub and gave myself a time out. As I stood outside the bathroom door, I listened to him play and sing in the tub. He was everything sweet and calm and adorable, as he soaked in the bubbles. When he was sufficiently wrinkled, I pulled him out of the tub, toweled him off and sent him to his room to get jammied. Maybe all he needed was a little alone time to soak and relax, I told myself, pleased with the new, calm Mischief.

I hadn't even finished draining the tub and putting the bath toys away before I heard Crafty yelling, followed by Mischief's cackles, coming from the basement. Oh good grief! I diffused the situation and quickly whisked Mischief off to bed, his day was done, even if he wasn't!  As I tucked him into bed, he wrapped his little arms around me and apologized for being a handful. I nuzzled into his freshly washed neck and sighed.

Dear God, help me with this kid! I prayed silently and as if he heard me, Mischief pulled back, placed his little hands on my cheeks and looked me straight in the eye and said, "Its okay mom. I'll grow up and be just like Dad, everything will be fine."

I kissed his forehead, told him I loved him and left the room. Just like Dad, eh? Not sure whether that made me feel better or worse in the moment, to tell you the truth!

I returned to my room and thought about all that Mischief is and how much he is already like his dad. Although he climbs and jumps and runs through life like a loon, he is also funny, witty, smart, caring and noble. He has a huge heart, loves fiercely and usually has the best of intentions. He is supremely confident, fearless and courageous. He is everything that is good and sweet ... he is already just like his dad, and that's not so bad, after all.

What is genius? - It is the power to be a boy again at will.

~James Matthew Barrie

No comments: