Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Few Random Answers

I am having a Crisis of Congestion this week and after three days of a head cold and two nights of next to no sleep my mind is foggy and writing something coherent seems beyond my capabilities so ... here's my cop out post.

I am going to answer a few of the questions I am most frequently asked ...


Do your kids or husband mind that you tell everyone everything about your life?

Well, the short answer is 'no.' 

I don't tell everything. I think carefully about the stories I share because although I want to be open and honest I also want to protect the people in my world. My first obligation is to keep my own family healthy and cared for, helping other people, making people laugh or think about the way they see the world is secondary. I set boundaries on what and how much to share and I often talk with Mr. Awesome about these boundaries, making sure he is comfortable with all of this.


How/why did you give your family pseudonyms?

The 'why' is to protect their privacy and to give the kids a little deniability as they get older. ;-) The 'how' came about pretty easily. I just thought about each of them, who they are and what they represent in my life. Anyone who knows my kids knows how each name fits them perfectly.

Mr. Awesome became Mr. Awesome out of sarcasm, actually. He was being less than awesome one evening and out of irritation I called him 'Mr. Awesome' and it kind of stuck. The more I called him Mr. Awesome the more awesome he became or the more I recognized all the ways he truly is awesome, either way I think calling him Mr. Awesome has seriously improved our relationship.


What are your favourite posts?

For funny anecdotes nothing is funnier to me than Hunter Girl!

On the more serious side, my favourite posts are the ones where I got to just talk about my family, everything good and sweet and wonderful about this crazy bunch. The two posts that come to mind first, though are The Things I Love About Them and They Belong to Me.


Why don't you turn your blog into a book?

From your mouth to the publishing gods ears!

Writing a book is no easy thing, I should know, I've been trying to write one for the better part of nine years! It is my dream to write books and to speak to groups of parents and teachers about the things I write about here, hope, encouragement and intentional relationships with the kids in your circle of influence. Writing is my dream, my goal, but my family is my reality and my first priority. I do write everyday but it is a balancing act right now, one I am still trying to get the hang of.

Stay tuned ... I'm hoping to churn something out soon!


Thanks for reading, for taking an interest and asking questions. If you have more questions send them to somerandommother@gmail.com and take a moment to check out my new 'tab' Around the Web ... I've done a couple of radio interviews lately ... the links are on that page.


Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn't know you had, and dealing with fears you didn't know existed. ~Linda Wooten

No comments: