Friday, September 9, 2011

Say Something ... More

Since starting this blog more than a year ago I have become very aware that words, all words, carry weight. They make an impact, they have staying power and you can't take them back. What has been said cannot be unsaid and you, the sayer has no control of how those words will be interpreted by others ... I have learned that the hard way. Its for that reason that I measure, very carefully, what I say here.

I feel blessed that you all take a few minutes out of your busy day to check in to see what I have to say each day and I feel doubly blessed when I hear that you enjoyed the piece, that it made you think or touched your heart in some way. You have trusted me with a little portion of your day, a tiny corner of your mind and I want to make the most and the best of that opportunity.

When I started to think about this blog, this platform and all the other opportunities that have come from it I realised I had a choice to make about how I was going to use all of this, what kind of message I was going to send. Its so easy to be flippant, rude and negative; easy and usually funny, but did I want the cheap laughs or did I want to craft something more?

More takes work. More requires forethought, filtering and intention. More can be a mental drag but I knew I could not live with myself for long if I settled for less. What I didn't realize at first is that being more, saying more, doesn't have to be sappy, intense and serious all the time. More can be fun, light hearted and leave people feeling really good. More is just the thing that gives your words and actions intent and depth.

My pal, Urban Princess, posted this video on her blog for her day job. I'm stealing it and I'm putting a little challenge out there ... say something more. Today and in the days to come say something to someone that is just a little more and I would LOVE it if you left a comment here or on my facebook page (Some Random Mother on Facebook), something more for the other readers to enjoy. It can be as simple as a 'howdy' or as long as a favourite quote or song lyric ... something that will make someone smile and feel good about themselves today.


Always be a little kinder than necessary. ~James M. Barrie

1 comment:

alt&rockin'4ever said...

I'll give you a "howdy" AND my favourite quote! I try to keep it as a mantra in the rough patches with the Aspie life...

"Live the life you have imagined."
Henry David Thoreau