Monday, June 6, 2011

U2 Can Be Great!

In case you haven't picked up on this yet, there are few things that I love more than my coffeejuice. Sitting here with a cup of that steamy goodness warming my hands and defogging my brain I can only think of three things that I love more than coffeejuice, Mr. Awesome, The Wee Ones and U2 ... not necessarily in that order.

About a year and a half ago Mr. Awesome and I took a trip of a lifetime to New York City to see U2 perform at Giants Stadium. It was beyond fabulous! 100,000 people, the incredible 360 stage and the guys, my Irish boys singing their hearts out. I had a post-U2 glow that lasted for months! I was hooked ... all I could think about was seeing them in concert again.

Last weekend I finally got the opportunity to see them up close and personal, they came to my hometown and I ended up with field tickets. I was unable to go Bono-hunting as planned, but a pal of mine did and she met Bono twice, so I was forced to swallow my jealousy and live vicariously through her crazy FB updates and pictures.

The night of the concert found Mr. Awesome, my cousin and I less than 10 feet from the catwalk. I got some amazing pictures and had a fan-freaking-tastic time. I was all aglow, hyped up and flying high again. The day after the concert, as my feet were recuperating from standing in one place for six hours, I started searching out other concert dates while fantasizing about abandoning my children to become a U2 groupie. I was pretty sure my pal, Urban Princess, would join me!

Anyway, I intentionally did not write about my concert experience because I knew I was U2-drunk and would need a little time to regain perspective. Its been a week and I'm still a little tipsy and as it turns out, so is Mr. Awesome, he was the one who brought up the concert last night. He had just come in from picking up 'Lily Treats' in the backyard and I was in the kitchen scrubbing the remnants of supper off the table when he sighed and said, "One week ago..."

That's all it took. In a flash we were huddle around the computer, looking at our pictures from the concert and half joking about hitting the road and meeting up with the tour in Minneapolis or Chicago. We talked about our favourite concert moments and how great the crowd around us was and how awesome it must be for Bono, The Edge, Larry and Adam to be living their dream.

There is a tangible force surrounding people who are doing what they were meant to be doing, who are using their God-given gifts and abilities to be the person they were created to be. Seeing someone passionately living the life they were destined to live, the life of their dreams, is contagious. It makes you want to chase down all of your hopes and turn them into a reality, too.

Being in the presence of greatness forces you to look at your own greatness factor in a pretty harsh light. Am I doing what I need to do to live the life I want to live? Am I using my influence to effect positive change and growth around me or is my negativity sucking the life out of everyone and everything around me? Am the person I was created to be?

By the way, the greatness I am talking about is not, specifically, U2 but that tangible force of destiny I was talking about ... although U2 is pretty darn great! The point is, I probably won't be abandoning my dreams to watch someone else live out theirs any time soon but it would be nice to catch another concert! So if you want to sponsor this Random Mother and her quest for a 360 three-peat just let me know ... I'd gladly accept a trip and Red Zone tickets to another U2 show ;-) In the meantime, I'll be here working on my own little piece of greatness!

As a rock star, I have two instincts, I want to have fun, and I want to change the world. I have a chance to do both.

~Bono

No comments: