Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Start of Change

Today was the last day of school and the first day of our Random Acts of Service Challenge. This summer we have decided to do more than tan and beach and bonfire, this summer we are purposefully setting out to commit Random Acts of Service.

Mr. Awesome and I feel that it is very important to teach our kids to not only be empathetic but to act on that empathy. It is very easy to see a homeless person or a commercial about sick and starving children and think that its too bad but that it's not your problem. We want our kids to understand that because we are all here on this planet together that we are all connected. So the problem of the sick child in Africa is the problem of the homeless man downtown is the problem of us in suburban Canada. We are all connected so we must bear the burden and we must all work to find a solution.

It was with this in mind that we, as a family, started brainstorming about how we, in our safe little home, could be part of the solution. At first we didn't have a real idea of what we were going to do or achieve but bit by bit things started to come together. I'm still not sure of some of the details but I know we are on the right track. The kids are excited about the organisations they have chosen to raise money for and they can't wait to get started.

Next week they will share, in their own words, what charities they have chosen and why but for now I would like you to watch this video clip. Its a ballad of Western world woes (she says tongue in cheek).



I know that we all have big lives, big concerns and many obligations that demand our time and energy but I also know that we are blessed. I know that when I look outside my own life, my own woes and focus on the needs of others I feel fulfilled and purposeful. I know that when I take a moment to help someone in need I receive ten times the support, encouragement and strength back. But most of all, I know that when I stop to care, to help, to speak up I am doing what I am meant to be doing.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.



~Anne Frank

No comments: