Thursday, March 3, 2011

No More, No Less

I've written and deleted this post a couple of times today. I don't know what my problem is ... maybe not enough coffeejuice, maybe I'm thrown off my routine by writing in the afternoon instead of the morning? I don't know, so I'm just going to say what I need to say and let you sort out the rest from the video.

Kids have needs, all kids have needs, not just the ones with a diagnosis. Kids need us to feed them, clothe them, remind them to bathe and teach them how to be proper human beings. They need a shoulder to cry on, a kick in the pants from time to and more than a little guidance on the road to becoming an adult. They need us and if we are good parents, we become the parents they need us to be. No more, no less.

From time to time, people compliment me on the type of parent I am and although its nice to hear, the truth of it is, if Dude did not require me to be the type of parent I am, I would not be this. I know me, I am easily inspired but traditionally lack follow through, I have a short fuse and lack basic patience. I am lazy and kind of selfish. That's who I am naturally but because my kids require more of me, I do my very best to be more.

Everyday I remind myself that I chose to become a mother and that my kids' needs must come before my lazy butt tendencies. Everyday I choose to be present in the moment, engage in their world and hopefully make a difference in how they understand life. Everyday I also thank God for giving me the opportunity to be a better person, for making me a mom.

This video is about a father and son team who inspire and sacrifice for each other. I've seen several videos about this duo, in one, the dad was called the body and the son was called the heart and I think that's true of any parent/child relationship. The parent can but doesn't until inspired by the heart of the child.



I do because my kids inspire me, require me, to be more. No more, no less.

No comments: