Monday, October 25, 2010

Message in the Music

When Mr. Awesome and I got together way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I knew I had found myself a good man. He was kind, compassionate, generous and funny as heck. So it came as no big surprise that when Dude was born Mr. Awesome proved to be an amazing dad.

In those early months of night time feeds, diaper changes and unexplained fussiness he was there with me every step of the way. I can't remember one time when Mr. Awesome didn't get up in the night with me to care for Dude and more often than not he would try to soothe the baby without my input. That's when I noticed one of the quirks about Mr. Awesome and fatherhood.

Having never really been around babies until we had Dude he didn't know any nursery rhymes or lullabies. The first song he ever sang to Dude was Silent Night...in March. I tried to teach him a few lullabies but he thought they were weird and decided to stick to his own songs. He continued this with each baby we had.

Crafty's song was 'New Orleans is Sinking' and Mischief fell asleep each night to 'American Pie'. Even now nearly every night Mr. Awesome cuddles up with each of our kids and reads them a story and sings to them. Thankfully he has started reading to them from the basket of books I have provided rather than the MEC catalogue (like he did for Baby-Dude) but his song choices are still entirely his own.

At first I was skeptical about some of the song choices but this weekend when we were out shopping, Mischief (having already spent all his birthday money) asked if he could get one more thing. When we explained that he had already made his choices he said, "Oh yeah. I remember. You can't always get what you want but you get what you need, right Dad?"

Score one for Mr. Awesome and his quirky song choices!

No comments: